Inspirational ponderings and life reflections of a 20-year-old Texas college student.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Giving

The book I'm reading right now - The Power of Giving: How Giving Back Enriches Us All by Azim Jamal & Harvey McKinnon - has really been opening up my eyes about a person's role in this world. As a college student, I've had opportunities in my classes to really think a lot about my future and begin to look at my options. Because of this book, I've been thinking not only about how I will make a living for myself, but also how I want to impact others along the way, and give as much as I'm able to.

I don't feel like right now I'm using all of my potential in this area. I give to my friends, my family, and John, but I can do even more than that. The question I've been thinking lately is: how do I get started? I'd like to do some volunteer work and have been looking for opportunities to do this, but haven't had a lot of luck yet. But I feel like I'm just wasting time when I could be making a difference in the world.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

In my Professional Report Writing class I'm taking this semester, I was given an assignment to conduct three informational interviews who have jobs I'm interested in and then right a research report over those. I was really inspired by how each person I talked to not only loves their job, but also uses it to better others. And they all seem pretty dang happy. That's the kind of life I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment